Wednesday Hodgepodge - Vol 9


1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness and they receive over 1000 nominations. Here are the fourteen words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2011-viral, epic, fail, wow factor, a-ha moment, back story, BFF, man up, refudiate, Mama Grizzlies, The American People, facebook/google when used as verbs, I'm just sayin', and Live life to the fullest.


What word or phrase would you like to see banished from our everyday vocabulary in 2011? You can choose one from the 'official list' or you can get creative and come up with your own.

I cannot think of a word or phrase I would like banished.  I do think the rolling of the eyes should be done away with.  However this is something I find myself doing. So to be totally banned...Hmmm.

2. Do you consider opportunity something that comes to you or something you create for yourself?

I think both. To miss an opportunity is a sad thing indeed.

3. Since we're all eating healthy this month, ahem, what's included in your favorite salad? 
Is there dressing?

My fave salad would include tomato, lettuce, parmesan cheese, and sesame seeds. 
Dressing? Vidalia Onion Vinegarette
I also like 7-layer salads and Ceasar salads. 


4. The fourth Monday in January is said to be Blue Monday...aka the most depressing day of the year. The date was calculated using many factors including weather, debt level, time since Christmas, time since we've failed at our new year resolutions, low motivation and feeling a need to take action. Do you get the blues this time of year and if so what is something you do to lift your spirits?
I've been known to get the blues from time to time. I don't know if it's actually on Blue Monday. One thing that helps me is to put in my exercise DVD and do some indoor walking. Chocolate, or something sweet, also helps.
5. Do you wear a watch? Any other everyday jewelry essentials?
I wear a watch all the time. Sometimes I wear a necklace.
6. What is something useful you learned in high school?
Not sure if I learned anything useful in high school. I talked all through those years.
7. Do you use an accountant when completing and filing your income tax returns or do you attempt to muddle through all by yourself?
My hubby does our income tax returns. We did use an accountant until they became too expensive.
8. Insert your own random thought here-
Snow left us with another day of icy roads and no school. The sun is finally shining.  
If you would like to participate please visit Joyce @ From This Side of the Pond 
 

16 comments:

Joyce said...

We're snowed in today too, and its icy snow which is always a little more treacherous. Stay safe and warm! Glad you played along in the Hodgepodge today!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Wow really an actually Blue Monday!

I so agree on opportunity :) hehe H.S. was all about being social :)

blueviolet said...

Would you believe I eat salad without dressing? Not even to be healthy either. I just don't like dressing!

Michelle said...

Hmmm...interesting.
I've never tried salad without dressing.
I wonder if I would like it.

Jewel said...

Hi Michelle! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Liked your #6 answer! :-) It's a wonder I learned anything useful as I was a "socializer", too!! ;-)

auburnchick said...

Had to laugh at your high school question answer! I was very studious in those days (some things haven't changed).

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Hope the rest of your week goes well!

Amy said...

this was a hard one.. I think you did great.. Have a great night.. Thanks for the kind words today..

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SusanD said...

I enjoyed reading your answers, especially the one to the high school question. It brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Amy said...

Round Robin is tomorrow if you want to join..

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your salad sounds delicious. I also like Caesar and Cobb also. I think we all get a little blue after the holidays. I wear a watch when I leave the house. Hope your have had a nice week.

Sue said...

Cool post. I love Caesar Salad! And I got out of the habit of wearing a watch.

I started doing an exercise video too.

Thanks for sharing. Have a great day♥

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by..

Debra Kaye said...

Thanks for your visit. I enjoyed your post tremendously. Truly got a kick out of the list of banishments to be..lol

Blessings to you!

Vader's Mom said...

Please, please don't banish the eye roll. I would have no way to tell my husband what he is doing is silly :)

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I think refudiate should absolutely be banished as it's not even a real word!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com